3.04.2009

Degrees Of Separation

My first year at Fresno State I played in the Jazz Band B and for one of our concerts, a saxophone player named Bob Reynolds was a guest artist and played with the band.

He was a great player, but what really made me start struck was that he is John Mayer's saxophone player of choice and always tours with Mayer. Him playing with the Fresno State Jazz Bands made my degree of separation from John Mayer: 2. (That's how it works right? Or would it be 1 because there's only one person between John Mayer and I? Eh, 2 is close enough). Kyle Lowe > Bob Renolds > John Mayer

Today I was perusing the iTunes Store catalog (I don't really have money to buy music, but it doesn't mean I don't like to look) and saw that the California rapper Evidence just made a music video with will.i.am.

Last year, I helped my buddy Punit make the FASHAWN music video, My Way, which featured Evidence. I didn't meet Evidence, because his shoots were only in LA while I only did the Fresno production days. But I did work with FASHAWN who worked with Evidence, who has now worked with will.i.am. Kyle Lowe > FASHAWN > Evidence > will.i.am

So now, I'm at a 3rd degree of separation from will.i.am! I'm moving up in the world, although these degrees of separation aren't credible and can't be used on a résumé or in an interview…

I just thought I would point this out.