2.01.2008

grease

so, i'm playing guitar for my old high school's production of grease (they asked me back to play!). the show rocks, no doubt about it. the orchestra/band brings the awesome and the cast belts their heart out.

last night was the opening night of the show, and the house was packed. the school has a reputation for great musicals. this musical is a bit different from past performances because the band isn't in the usual elevating pit. we are stuffed back stage hiding away from everyone because the musical needs all the stage ground they can get for the ginormous cast. at intermission, wilke (the other guitar player) talks to some people he knows and they think the music is prerecorded! i see some people afterward, and they see me carrying my guitar case and ask me why i had it... i tell them i was in the orchestra/band and they tell me they thought it was cd tracks too!

i'm not sure if these statements are compliments or not...

the reason the directors and music directors insist on having a orchestra/band is to teach students that music is organic, but i assumed that it worked the same way for the audience too. how wrong i was. oh well. life goes on.