12.14.2008

Metallica @ Save Mart Center: The Way Death Magnetic Should've Sounded

Not really, it would have been quite rumbly. But at least evenly balanced and non distorted.

James Hetfield did make sort of an apology for the way Death Magnetic was mastered. Sort of.

They were still very loud, but every sound was balanced and accounted for. The guitars sounded ridiculously awesome. I'd guess that they were using amp modeling, because there were no amp heads on stage and the cabinets on stage looked like dummies. And with all the guitar (and especially bass) changing the sound was almost consistent throughout and with recordings.

The open arena staging worked really well. The only thing that I found funny was I could see Lars Ulrich's bald spot with my binoculars when his drum set faced away from me.

Kirk Hammett botched a note in the solo intro of One which totally caught me off guard, but other than that, the playing was top notch. I still wonder how Robert Trujillio wears his bass so low.

For two or three songs Trujillo played an awesome sparkle-green Rickenbacker. It was awesome. Hammett and Hetfield stuck to ESP guitars most of the night.

Overall the show was awesome. I only wish I would have bought the tickets from the Metallica website, so I could've gotten a free digital recording of the concert.







Monday. Two Birds, One Stone… release. Check back Monday evening!